Quincy Notre Dame scored three goals in a span of 64 seconds Tuesday night en route to a 7-2 win over Hannibal.

The Hannibal girls soccer team knew it was in for its most difficult test so far this season Tuesday night when it crossed the river for a match at Quincy Notre Dame.

For 35 minutes, the Lady Pirates held the reigning Illinois Class 1A champions to one goal.

But a trio of scores in a span of 64 seconds boosted the host Lady Raiders to a 4-0 halftime lead en route to a 7-2 win at Advance Physical Therapy Field. 

“We would have to come out and play our absolute best tonight and hope they have an off game, and those things didn't happen,” Hannibal coach Eric Hill said.

Olivia Dreyer powered a shot into the back of the net from about 25 yards out to give QND a 2-0 cushion with 4:55 left in the first half. 

Thirty-one seconds later, forward Erin Barnes scored her second goal of the night for the Lady Raiders with a ground shot that trickled through to push their advantage to three.

Thirty-three seconds after that, Lady Raider halfback Taylor Keck capped the offensive eruption with another goal. 

“We did a lot of nice things in the first 35 minutes but just didn't score,” QND coach Mark Longo said. “We were trying to be too cute and too fancy, but once we got that second goal it opened up after that.”

Barnes came up with a steal off a Hannibal goal kick and struck for an unassisted goal in the 5th minute for the first tally of the match.

“Get the ball and go to the goal,” Longo said. “We don't like to play around with it. We've got a lot of speed and you might as well use it, and we do a nice job of that.” 

Although the Lady Raiders spent the majority of the first half on the attack, Hannibal held QND in check over the next 30 minutes to maintain the 1-0 deficit.

The Lady Raiders recorded 20 shots on goal during the contest to Hannibal's five.

Shelby Nelson made 13 saves for Hannibal in the loss.

“They had the better amount of play, but we did a good job to at least limit the damage,” Hill said of the first 35 minutes. “We allowed shots, we allowed opportunities, but we stayed compact defensively and Shelby made some nice saves.”

Then the game took a turn in a hurry. 

“Giving up three goals in that short of a span, heads dropped a little bit,” Hill said. “And then going into the wind second half, we weren't going to be able to get a whole lot.”

Hannah Peters scored for QND in the 46th minute to make it 5-0. The goal came 90 seconds after the Lady Raiders snuffed out Hannibal's lone corner kick.

Molly Penn headed in a goal off a corner in the 50th minute to make it 6-0. 

Hannah Nichols put Hannibal on the board with an accurate free kick seven minutes later. 

The junior defender showed off her strong right foot by bending a rocket from about 20 yards out into the far corner past the outstretched arms of the QND keeper.

“It had some crazy movement,” Hill said. “She bent it over the wall, and then at the last second it tailed off to the right on the keeper. The wind may have helped, but she hit it well.”

Grace McIntosh lofted a shot on target in the 64th minute to help Hannibal pull within 6-2.

Emme Kirn rounded out the scoring for QND (7-0-1), netting its seventh goal with six minutes remaining.

Next up for Hannibal (3-1) is a North Central Missouri Conference home match against Fulton at 5 p.m. on Thursday. 

Tuesday's loss can serve as a lesson going forward, according to Hill. 

“We need to stay more composed in the middle of the field,” the veteran coach said. “We gave up possession way too much. We actually had time to do stuff but just felt like we didn't. We felt some pressure that wasn't really there and shot ourselves in the foot.”