Certain third-party providers of tools utilized in the Services also gather information from you, as described below. These third parties have their own privacy policies and practices, and we encourage you to familiarize yourself with them.
No children under 13: The Services are not directed at or intended for use by children under 13 years old. You may be required to provide a date of birth to register for certain functionality of the Services. You are not permitted to use the Services if you are under 13. Please review our Terms for additional information.
Users outside the United States: The Services are not directed at or intended for users outside the U.S. Please be advised that if you are located in the European Union or another region with laws related to data collection, use and transfer that may differ from U.S. law, your personal information submitted through the Services and transferred to the U.S. may not have the same legal data protection as in your jurisdiction. Please review our Terms for additional information.
The information we gather
QMI and certain third-party providers of tools utilized in the Services gather two types of information through the Services:
(1) Non-personally identifiable information: When you use the Services, we or our third-party providers may collect information indicating, among other things, which pages were visited and by how many users, the order in which pages were visited, and which hyperlinks were "clicked." Collecting such information may involve the collection of IP addresses and other online identifiers, operating system and browser software used by each user. Although such information is not personally identifiable, we or our third-party providers can identify the city and country in which a user is based, and we may be able to determine additional geographic location data.
The non-personally identifiable information we collect helps us diagnose problems with our server, administer the Services, identify the most popular areas or features of the Services, identify where our users are coming from and determine the effectiveness of our promotional activities. In addition, QMI may disclose some of this information to advertisers to inform them of the number of people who have seen and/or clicked through their advertisements.
Cookies: The Services use "cookies"---that is, small text files placed on your computer's hard drive---to help us determine the type of content and sites to which you link, the length of time you spend at any particular area or feature of the Services, and your usage of the Services. Cookies also tell us which advertising you have seen on the Services. QMI may have access to data collected through cookies. At certain times, QMI may use outside (third-party) advertising companies to display advertisements on the Services that may contain cookies ("banner ads"). These banner ads collect information stored by the outside advertising company, but QMI does not, have access to this information.
Essentially, cookies are your identification cards for our computers, or servers, that placed them there. Cookies are only read by the server that placed them. Cookies allow us to serve you better and more efficiently, and to personalize your experience on or with the Services. Nevertheless, you are able to control how and whether cookies will be accepted by your web browser or device. For more information on how to do so, please refer to the documentation accompanying your browser or device.
Do Not Track: At this time, this Web site and the Services do not recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms and preferences, which may include "do not track" instructions. However, you may adjust the privacy preferences of your browser, including the control of how and whether cookies will be accepted by your web browser or device. For more information on how to do so, please refer to the documentation accompanying your browser or device.
(2) Personally identifiable information: QMI and certain third-party providers of tools utilized in the Services collect personally identifiable information through voluntary submissions you make via the Services. Certain features of the Services and third-party tools utilized in the Services, such as inquiries submitted through our “contact us” page, surveys and contests/sweepstakes as well as registration and subscription or other purchases, may require that you provide personally identifiable information (including, for example, mailing address, zip code, gender, age, date of birth, income, phone number and e-mail address, and when applicable, credit card information). We and our third-party provider may have access to this data.
In addition, when registering to set up an account or to use certain aspects of the Services such as full access to the Services through a paid subscription, e-mail, chat features, and forums, or to receive certain alerts, newsletters or specifically targeted information, we or our third-party provider do require that you provide a valid e-mail address and zip code. Additional personally identifiable information may also be voluntarily provided by you. We and our third-party provider may have access to this data.
QMI may collect personally identifiable information in the form of device IDs and IP addresses when you use the Services.
In addition, QMI may collect information about your location when you access any of our mobile applications. If you do not enable the service to use your location information or if the app does not have that feature, we will not collect or store your location information.
How we use the information we gather
Please take some time to familiarize yourself with the different ways we use the information that we gather.
(1) How we use and share non-personally identifiable information: QMI uses non-personally identifiable information in aggregate form to build higher quality, more effective and more useful services by performing statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of the users of the Services, and by measuring demographics and interests regarding specific areas and features of the Services. QMI may provide statistical information based on this data to advertisers, affiliates, and other current and potential business partners for advertising, promotional and other purposes. QMI also uses the aggregate data to inform these third parties as to the number of people who have seen and clicked on links to their web sites. QMI may share your non-personally identifiable information with our third-party providers who may, for example, combine the data with third-party data controlled by others for targeted marketing and advertising activity.
(2) How we use and share personally identifiable information: QMI uses and shares personally identifiable information collected through the Services as follows.
• During the registration process or during other interactions with the Services, you may choose to "opt in" to receiving promotional materials from us and/or our affiliates, advertisers, or other business partners and QMI. If you "opt in" to receiving such promotional materials, we and QMI reserve the right to release any personally identifiable registration information regarding you to third parties who provide goods or services that we believe may be of interest to you. Third-party providers of financial transaction tools may collect your credit card and other personally identifiable information through the Services if voluntarily provided by you. If you decide that you would like to discontinue receiving promotional information from such third parties, please contact those third parties directly, or contact us at email@example.com.
• QMI may use your e-mail address to deliver newsletters, alerts and other information requested by you. QMI limits our own e-mail contact and solicitations to those customers who have "opted in" to receiving such communications. The solicitations are limited in that they, among other things, will clearly indicate the originator of the e-mail and provide the customer with a method of "opting out" of receiving future communications of a similar nature.
• QMI may use your personal information to respond to and evaluate employment opportunities in response to your employment inquiries.
• Your personal information provided through the Services may also be an asset of QMI's business transferred to a third party in the event of a sale, merger or other business combination involving QMI.
• We sometimes use demographic and/or geolocation data to decide which advertisements and sponsor messages to show to which users. As an example, if Sponsor XYZ wishes to display their advertising only to female users of the Services, we may use registration data to ensure that Sponsor XYZ's ads are displayed only to female users. Please also see the section on Internet based advertising and IP targeting below.
• QMI may also use individual users' data to "pre-populate" forms, which are displayed for the purpose of collecting individual data by us and/or our sponsors. In no case does pre-populating a form transfer any data to any advertiser or third party. Only if the user voluntarily requests that such data be transferred will any transfer take place---for example, if/when a user clicks a "submit form" button or other button the data will be transferred.
• We may use information about your location when you access our mobile applications to provide location aware products or services and for advertising purposes, and if you submit video or images for the news, for news reporting purposes. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, we may provide your location information to third parties who provide goods or services that we believe may be of interest to you.
• QMI may use your personal information (for example, user name and login information) to monitor access to content offered through the Services and/or to make promotional offers to you. Paid subscribers may receive unlimited access to QMI content offered through the Services, while non-subscriber access may be limited.
• QMI may share your personal data with a third-party provider who may combine it with third-party data controlled by others for targeted marketing and advertising activity.
QMI reserves the right to disclose your personal information: 1) to comply with a law, regulation, or other governmental request, for example, to comply with subpoenas, court orders, legal process, or requests by law enforcement or governmental entities; (2) to investigate or defend against third-party claims against QMI; (3) to detect, prevent, or investigate fraud or other illegal activity or to enforce the Terms; (4) to respond to a request by you to disclose the information; (5) with your knowledge and consent; and (6) to address emergencies or acts of god. QMI may share your personal information with third parties that perform services on QMI's behalf (including cloud, web and/or server hosting services and providers of third-party tools used in the Services); QMI does not authorize such third parties to use your personal information except as necessary to provide services to QMI or for purposes authorized by QMI.
Interest based advertising and IP targeting: QMI may work with data providers to serve advertising to you through display media or other methods. These providers may use personal information that we have collected or that you have provided to locate you online, such as when you visit or log in to websites or mobile applications. This information may be linked to online identifiers or IP addresses assigned to you, and to demographic or interest-based data, in order to target you with relevant advertising, including about our products or services. To learn more about or opt out of this and other interest-based advertising, please visit the industry opt-out pages operated by the DAA, at http://www.aboutads.info and by the NAI at http://networkadvertising.org.
Third-party advertising networks: We may also use third-party advertising companies to collect data and/or serve ads when you visit our Website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other Websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. These companies may also use non-cookie technologies to recognize your computer or device and/or to collect and record information about your web surfing activity including your activities on or off this Website. Please keep in mind that your web browser may not permit you to block the use of these non-cookie technologies, and those browser settings that block cookies may have no effect on such techniques. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, visit http://networkadvertising.org/ and youradchoices.com.
Retention of personal information
QMI will retain your personal information collected through the Services for as long as QMI deems reasonably necessary or desirable, unless a different retention period is required by any applicable law, rule, or regulation. QMI reserves the right to delete or destroy any such information at any time.
Changing/deleting personal information
If you wish to correct, update, amend, or delete/remove personal information that is provided through the Services, you may contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. QMI will use reasonable efforts to comply with your request.
Third parties and links
QMI does not control the acts of users of the Services. All users should be aware that, when they disclose personally identifiable information in a bulletin board, chat feature, guestbook, or other forum, the information may be collected and used by others to send that person unsolicited e-mail from other parties outside of the Services or QMI. In the event that you encounter any user of the Services who is improperly collecting or using information about you or other users, please contact email@example.com.
The Services may contain links to other Internet web sites and services, including co-branded or other affiliated or unaffiliated sites that may or may not be owned or operated by QMI. Unless otherwise explicitly stated, QMI is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites or services, including their use of any information collected when users or visitors to the Services click through links to those sites. Even though such information might not identify you personally, QMI strongly encourages you to become familiar with the privacy practices of those sites and services. QMI encourages users to be aware when they leave this Web site or our Services.
QMI cannot and does not assume any responsibility for any actions or omissions of third parties, including the manner in which they use information received either from us or independently. Nevertheless, in the event you encounter any third party associated with, or who claims association with, us who you feel is improperly collecting or using information about you, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org; QMI will make reasonable efforts to forward your message to the third party.