Drugs seized have estimated street value of $100,000

Sgt. Matthew Wilt and Detective Victor Mathews, members of the Hannibal Police Department's Anti-Crime Enforcement Squad, were saluted publicly earlier this week for their roles in a major narcotics and cash seizure last weekend.

"Sometimes your people do such outstanding things that they should be publicly recognized," said Hannibal Police Chief Lyndell Davis during Tuesday night's meeting of the Hannibal City Council.

Davis said Wilt and Mathews were the "main drivers" of the investigation conducted off and on for months.

"A lot of people will think they got lucky or things just fell in their lap, but that is not how these things happen,” Davis said. “It takes a lot of work to make them happen. I'm very proud of them.”

During the execution of three search warrants on the night of Nov. 3, nearly 6 pounds of the "ice" version of methamphetamine, more than 1 pound of cocaine and 36 pounds of marijuana were seized.

"Typically, we speak of drug arrests in grams and not poundage. That's one of the things that makes this (case) very significant," said Davis, who added that $83,000 in cash and three handguns were also collected by officers. The amount of narcotics seized could represent an HPD record with an estimated street value of $100,000.

"We have seized larger quantities of marijuana over the years, but collectively with all the other narcotics, that would be one of the largest (totals) HPD has ever seized at one time," Davis said.

Because of the amount of drugs that was collected during the searches, HPD contacted federal officials.

Mayor Pro Tem Mike Dobson thanked the officers, noting that the 503 N. Hawkins residence that was searched is close to an elementary school.

Taken into custody were Ahmed H. Elder and Rachel Elder. Both face multiple drug charges, according to online court documents.

"They made a significant arrest of an individual believed to be a major dealer in our community," Davis said.

Davis pointed out that no suspects, officers or members of the public were injured during last weekend's operation.

"That is saying a lot, because these things can go wrong,” he said. “You see things like this go wrong all the time and this went very well. It was well planned out. A lot of work went into this.”