Fireworks were cited as the cause of a house fire in Ralls County Sunday evening.

Fireworks were cited as the cause of a house fire in Ralls County Sunday evening.

According to Mike Dobson, chief of the Hannibal Rural Fire Protection District, firefighters responded at 8:09 p.m. July 8 to the report of a structure fire at 11861 Fir Place, located off of MO 79, in Ralls County.

When firefighters arrived at the home of Christine Ogden they found a neighbor using water from a garden hose in an attempt to control the fire in the home's laundry room. After firefighters finished extinguishing the blaze they set up ventilation to remove light smoke from the structure. Siding was removed from the outside of the home to access a wall that had received fire damage.

Dobson estimates the firefighters had the fire fully extinguished in about 10 minutes.

Firefighters also accessed the attic to check for additional fire with a thermal imaging camera. None was found.

An investigation revealed that Ogden was supervising her 12-year-old son lighting fireworks when a large box of fireworks caught fire. The fire spread from the box, which was located close to the house, to the structure.

Fire damage was limited to the laundry room and the back corner of the house. Also damaged was a riding lawnmower that was close to the box of fireworks that caught fire.

Dobson credited the neighbor who used a hose to battle the flames until firefighters arrived with keeping damage to a minimum.

Ogden reported she received two burns to her back while attempting to get away from the exploding fireworks. She was checked at the scene by ambulance personnel and declined treatment. No firefighters were injured.

According to Dobson, firefighters were on the scene for a little more than an hour and a half.