Initial steps taken for riverfront project bonds
Is Hannibal a happy place? It will be on Tuesday, March 20, per city council decree.
At the request of Chloe Mitchell, Miss Heart of the Ozark Outstanding Teen, the council approved the city's participation in the International Day of Happiness on that day.
The International Day of Happiness, known as Happiness Day, is celebrated throughout the world on March 20. The International Day of Happiness was founded by United Nations adviser Jayme Illien in 2012 when all 193 member states of the United Nations General Assembly unanimously adopted UN resolution 66/281.
In other business:
• An ordinance clarifying the recent annexation of property adjacent to Jimmy O’Donnell Road was given final reading. It clarifies that the Ball Investment Group, LLC, property that was brought into the city is located between 8878 and 8860 Jimmy O’Donnell Road.
• First reading was given a bill that amends the public consumption city code to include an additional area on Broadway between the Mississippi River and 10th Street.
• A resolution was passed that approves a financial advisory agreement with WM Financial Strategies as financial advisor and an engagement letter with Gilmore & Bell, P.C. as bond and disclosure counsel relative to the riverfront renovation project. WM Financial Strategies will be paid $18,000. The fee of Gilmore & Bell, P.C., will be $50,000.
• The Fire Department was given the OK to purchase a breathing air compressor from Banner Fire Equipment for $17,785. Banner's was the lone bid received.
• A street closure in downtown Hannibal was approved for the Mark Twain Corvette Club's annual car show on Saturday, Aug. 4.
• Street use and closures were approved for the Saturday, March 17, Shamrock Shuffle 5K run/walk.
Reach reporter Danny Henley at firstname.lastname@example.org