Hannibal Rural Fire Protection District firefighters were called out at 3:20 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 27, for a report of a structure fire at 11265 Dove Ridge Road.

Hannibal Rural Fire Protection District firefighters were called out at 3:20 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 27, for a report of a structure fire at 11265 Dove Ridge Road. Firefighters arrived on scene and found a fire in the laundry room. According to Chief Michael Dobson, firefighters were able to contain the fire to the laundry room in a two-story home owned by Dr. Jeff and Kim Evans.

Noah Evans, the couple's son, reported to firefighters that he heard the dryer making a funny noise and when he opened the door to investigate he encountered heavy smoke. He closed the door and called 9-1-1. Firefighters credit Noah's actions of closing the door from keeping the fire from spreading to other rooms in the home.

Firefighters used ventilation fans to clear light smoke from the home. Fire damage was limited to the laundry room with smoke damage to the rest of the home. Firefighters were able to save a family pet, a bird, from an upstairs room. There were no injuries reported.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a plugged dryer vent that caused the dryer to overheat.

The fire department was on scene for about two hours.