Dr. Eugene “Doc” Hinds, age 90, of Palmyra, Mo., passed away on Sunday, October 25, 2015, at Lewis County Nursing Home in Canton, Mo.

Dr. Eugene “Doc” Hinds, age 90, of Palmyra, Mo., passed away on Sunday, October 25, 2015, at Lewis County Nursing Home in Canton, Mo.

Doc was born on April 6, 1925, in Palmyra, to Dr. Harry Hinds and Mary Dickson Hinds.

He married Clara June Eichman on Sept. 4, 1949, at the First Baptist Church in Palmyra, Mo. She survives of the home.

Dr. Hinds is also survived by a daughter, Harriet (Fred) Latimer, Palmyra. Grandchildren include: Dr. Laura Akerson, Palmyra; Elizabeth (Marvin) Evans, Palmyra; Michael Hinds, Columbia, Mo.; Erika Higgins, Palmyra; Whitney (Jeremy) Wilson, Witchita, Kan.; Audra (Tim) Bross, Lee Summit, Mo.; and Marshall (Kara) Whitaker Latimer, Pittsburgh, Pa. Great-grandchildren include: Taylor and Levi Vance and Ashlyn and Ruby Akerson, Haley and Paige Higgins, all of Palmyra; Owen Bross, Lee Summit, Mo.; and Marshall Whitaker Latimer, Jr., Pittsburgh, Pa.

He is also survived by a brother, Harry (Betty) Hinds, Palmyra, and many nieces and nephews.

Dr. Hinds was preceded in death by his parents and a son, Eugene “Gene” Henry Hinds II.

Dr. Hinds was a lifelong resident of Palmyra, Mo. and a graduate of Palmyra High School. He served in the United States Marines Corps during World War II from 1943-1945. He received his Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (1951) and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (1952) degrees from the University of Missouri-Columbia.

Following in his father’s footsteps, Dr. Hinds practiced veterinary medicine, serving Palmyra and the surrounding communities from 1952-1968. He was a co-owner of the New Palmyra Sale (one of the largest Dairy Cattle Sales in the Midwest) from 1953-1965. Doc served many positions for the Missouri Veterinary Supply Corporation from 1956-1982 including: President and Chief Operating Officer, General Manager, Secretary, Director and Market Analyst. Dr. Hinds also served as President for Intrastate Veterinary Biologics, Inc. in 1980.

After a lifetime in the veterinary business, Doc brought everything he had learned in life and put it under one roof. In 1989, he opened Veticare Animal Hospital, the nation’s first full-service, drive-up animal hospital, in St. Charles, Mo., and served as President and Hospital Director for 20 years until he became ill.

In 2003, Dr. Hinds was named adjunct professor by the Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery at the University of Missouri-Columbia. Dr. Hinds also developed the Hinds Park and Marion Hills Subdivisions of Palmyra and served as a past director of Palmyra State Bank.

Dr. Hinds was an active member in the Marion County community and its betterment. He served as the Western District Commissioner of Marion County, Mo. from 1986-1992 and the Judge of the Western District of Marion County, Mo. from 1972-1976. Doc played a large part in the designing, planning, and development of the Marion County jail.

Dr. Hinds and his wife, June, donated the beautiful Floral Hall building located in the City Park of Palmyra. Doc also donated the land that is now known as Hinds Park, a part of the City and Palmyra Parks and Recreation.

He was a member and a former elder of the First Christian Church, Palmyra, Mo. Dr. Hinds was a member and past commander of the American Legion, Boots-Dickson Post No. 174.

Dr. Hinds had an avid interest and took a lot of pride in his grandchildren and Angus cattle. He served as the State Director of the Missouri Angus Association from 1964-1970. He was a former member and past president of the Mark Twain Angus Association.

Doc also had a devoted interest in his grandchildren and great-grandchildren, always encouraging and pushing them to do their best. One of the things he tried to instill in them all was the value and importance of an education.

Funeral services will be held at Lewis Brothers Funeral Home at 11:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 30. Visitation will be from 10:30 a.m. until the time of service.

Burial, with military honors by the Boots-Dickson American Legion Post #174, will follow at the Greenwood Cemetery, Palmyra.

Following the services at Greenwood Cemetery, a meal will be provided at The Old Stone House Inn. All friends and family are welcome to attend.

In lieu of flowers, the family is requesting memorials be made to Hinds Park, City of Palmyra.