An early morning fire Thursday in Hannibal that forced the occupants of three apartments out into the cold has been ruled accidental.

An early morning fire Thursday in Hannibal that forced the occupants of three apartments out into the cold has been ruled accidental.

Following an investigation by the Hannibal Fire Department, with assistance from an investigator from the Missouri State Fire Marshal’s office, the fire was determined to be the result of an electrical malfunction.

The Fire Department was called out at 5:24 a.m. on the report of a structure fire at 2203-2205 Chestnut St.

Upon arrival, fire crews found smoke coming from the eaves and windows of the two-story apartment building in which three of the four apartments were occupied. All occupants were already out of the building when the Fire Department reached the scene.

There were no injuries to occupants or firefighters. Fire crews were on scene for approximately 4.5 hours.

The building is owned by Travis and Clint Graupman.