Hannibal Rural Fire Protection District firefighters were called out Tuesday afternoon on the report of hay bales on fire at 8408 County Road 420.


Hannibal Rural Fire Protection District firefighters were called out Tuesday afternoon on the report of hay bales on fire at 8408 County Road 420.
According to Chief Michael Dobson, the call was received at 1:18 p.m. Upon arrival, firefighters found 25 large, round hay bales burning. The bales were owned by Emory Smashey.
A neighbor assisted firefighters by using a tractor to move the bales apart. Each bale had to be unrolled and soaked with water. It is estimated that it took approximately 9,000 gallons of water to extinguish the fire.
The cause of the fire is suspected to be a discarded cigarette.
Seven firefighters were on the scene for five hours. There were no reported injuries.