HANNIBAL | A South Sixth Street structure in need of demolition will stand a while longer after bids to perform the work came in higher than the city of Hannibal was prepared to pay.
During the May 19 meeting of the Hannibal City Council it was reported that bids from Roberts Construction ($58,000) and Don Martin Construction ($47,210) had been received to bring down the structure at 214 S. 6th St.
Both of those bids were higher than the estimated cost of the city's building inspector for the work, which ranged from between $30,000 and $35,000.
“The cost behind this home is because it is so close to the neighboring property it will have to be removed brick by brick,” wrote Edie Graupman, the department of public works' management assistant, in a memo to council members.
According to Graupman, the city has enough money in its demolition budget to bring down the South Sixth building, but it would mean other demolition projects would have to be put on hold.
“If we demolish this (South Sixth Street) home it will not leave us any funds to keep up the current demolition schedule that the street department has been producing at approximately one house every one to two weeks,” she said.
At the recommendation of the department of public works, the city council rejected both bids during its May 19 meeting.
“We will rebid it in the fall after the next budget year starts,” Graupman said.
The city's next fiscal year will begin on Wednesday, July 1.
This was not the first time that the South Sixth site has been spared demolition because of the cost of the work.
“We actually went out for bid originally on this property back in December of last year. They (bids) came in high then as well,” Graupman said.