Join me in urging Congressman Graves, Senator Blunt and Senator McCaskill to vote to extend CHIP.
As a Hannibal native and current pediatrician in Missouri, I feel it is important to advocate for the children of the community. The federal Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is due to expire on September 30th unless Congress votes to extend this bipartisan program.
A few things that are important to know about this topic:
- Twenty five percent of children in the 6th Congressional District (including Hannibal) receive their health care through Medicaid/CHIP.
- CHIP provides health insurance for the children of working families whose income is too high for traditional Medicaid but have no access to other health insurance.
- CHIP is due to expire September 30, 2017.
- Unless Congress votes to extend CHIP, MOHealthNet will be required to begin sending out termination notices letting families know that their children’s coverage will end in March.
Join me in urging Congressman Graves, Senator Blunt and Senator McCaskill to vote to extend CHIP. A vote to extend the CHIP program another 5 years will help support Missouri’s children and ensure that they have the medical coverage they need.
– Cassidy Leonard-Scott, DO FAAP