Dr. Schuyler Metlis offering screening through Hannibal Regional Medical Group
Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States. Over the past few decades, more people have been diagnosed with a form of skin cancer than all other cancers combined. In 2018 it is estimated that over 178,000 new cases of melanoma will be diagnosed.
Some risk factors for skin cancer include a lighter natural skin color, reddish hair, family history of skin cancer, history of indoor tanning, history of sunburns (especially early in life), and skin that burns, freckles, or reddens easily. “If you have any of these risk factors, you should see a doctor for a skin cancer screening at least once a year,” said Dr. Schuyler Metlis with Hannibal Regional Medical Group. “Catching cancer early often allows for more treatment options, and if you have skin cancer, finding it early is the best way to make sure it can be treated with success.”
Beginning in April and going through June, Metlis will be hosting free skin cancer screenings throughout the region. The screenings are free, however space is limited and an appointment is required. Metlis will be available for screenings on the following dates and times:
• Shelbina: April 6, 9:30 am - 11:30 am. Call 573-588-4131 to schedule.
• Monroe City: April 6, 1 to 3 p.m. Call 573-735-2506 to schedule.
• Hannibal: April 23, 3 to 6 p.m. or May 9, 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Call 573-629-3500 to schedule.
• Louisiana: May 25, 9 to 11 a.m. Call 573-754-5555 to schedule.
• Bowling Green: May 25, 1 to 3:30 p.m. Call 573-324-2241 to schedule.
As part of Hannibal Regional, the Hannibal Regional Medical Group (HRMG) is a growing multi-specialty physician group continuing to expand primary and specialty care services to meet the health needs of northeast Missouri residents.