No one was injured, but a rural Hannibal home sustained damage in a blaze early Wednesday, Feb. 14.

No one was injured, but a rural Hannibal home sustained damage in a blaze early Wednesday, Feb. 14.

According to Mike Dobson, chief of the Hannibal Rural Fire Protection District, firefighters were dispatched to 4502 West Ely Road at 4:06 a.m.

The occupants of the residence, Craig Walker and Cardion Janes, had been awakened by a falling light fixture in the dining room. When they went to investigate they found the light fixture on the floor and a hole in the ceiling through which they could see fire and smoke. The couple exited the home along with their 1-year-old child and called 9-1-1.

Arriving on scene, firefighters had to pull down the ceiling in the dining room to gain access to the fire.

“Firefighters were able to limit the fire damage to the attic area, but smoke and water damage were sustained in other parts of the home,” said Dobson, adding that firefighters were on the location for about three hours.

Firefighters blamed old knob and tube type wiring for the fire.

The home is owned by Tom Dorsey.