Hannibal firefighters able to contain fire within 10 minutes

Hannibal firefighters controlled a fire in a St. Mary's Ave. home's garage within 10 minutes, following reports received at 6:38 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 7.

Units from all three stations responded to reports of a structure fire in a garage at 3229 St. Mary's Ave. All of the occupant had safely exited the home, and Hannibal firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the garage's main entry doors. Firefighters had the fire under control, and overhaul operations lasted one hour. The fire was ruled accidental in nature, due to improper use of a cutting torch with combustible materials too close.

Members of the Hannibal Fire Department (HFD) would like to remind citizens that when using any equipment that emits sparks, make sure you do not have an combustible items too close to your work area. HFD suggested that you stay at least 50 feet from combustible products, and that you check the area shortly after using equipment to make sure that a fire has not started. If possible, make sure to have a working smoke alarm and an escape plan in place if a fire emergency happens.