Kevin Marshall allegedly injured two deputies during Aug. 2016 altercation at Hickman’s IGA in Paris

Prosecutors and law enforcement officials in Monroe County are surprised and frustrated that a man who is charged with assaulting two Monroe County deputies during an incident in Paris last August while he was on parole has again been released on parole by the Missouri Department of Corrections.

Kevin D. Marshall, 39, though, is still behind bars.

Marshall was released on parole in late May a second time and was immediately arrested on a warrant on June 1. Marshall is jailed on a $100,000 cash-only bond for an August 2016 assault in Paris. He faces five felony counts related to an alleged crime spree that started in Madison and ended in Paris on Aug. 19, 2016. He allegedly injured two officers before being shot. He has not yet been convicted of a crime in that incident.

At the time of the alleged crimes, Marshall was on parole from a three-year sentence for a felony conviction for driving without a license that he began serving on Oct. 14, 2015, in Randolph County, according to court records.

When on parole, he allegedly committed the crimes in Madison and Paris. Afterwards, he stayed at a Columbia hospital for several months where he recovered from the gunshot wound sustained in the Paris incident.

Following his recovery, he went back to prison, where he stayed until late May, when he was released again on parole on the same 3-year driving without a license sentence. He was charged with assault in April 2017 on the August 2016 crime, and was immediately placed in the Monroe County Jail.

“I was a surprised, yes,” said Monroe County Prosecuting Attorney Talley Kendrick of hearing the news that Marshall was paroled.

Monroe County Sheriff David Hoffman calls the Marshall parole frustrating.

“Everybody has to be assumed not guilty until convicted, I understand that…. but considering his charges and that he was on parole, it is a little hard to understand,” said Hoffman. “I know that prisons are overcrowded and that there is a push to get prisoners out of the system as soon as possible, but this is frustrating for us.”

The Missouri Department of Corrections, which was called last week, did not respond to a request for comment before the Salt River Journal’s press time.

Marshall is charged with assault on a law enforcement officer in the first degree, armed criminal action, burglary, tampering with a motor vehicle and resisting arrest. Marshall was shot by officers after he allegedly attacked them with a hatchet after he broke into Hickman’s IGA store in Paris, following a chase from Madison. Two officers were injured during the incident.

Monroe County Sheriff Chief Deputy Joe Colston, Monroe County Sheriff Sgt. Tony Coleman and former acting Monroe City Police Chief John Albright were honored for their actions during the incident by Gov. Eric Greitens in a ceremony in the Rotunda of the Missouri State Capitol on Jan. 9, about a half hour before he was sworn into office.

The Missouri Highway Patrol said that events began to unfold just after midnight on Aug. 19, when the Monroe County Sheriff ’s Department received a report of a white male, later identified as Marshall, allegedly attempting to break into a vehicle using a hatchet in Madison. When a deputy arrived at the scene, the Highway Patrol said Marshall was not immediately located. However, the Highway Patrol said, the deputy observed the Marshall in a vehicle and attempted to stop the vehicle. The vehicle, the report said, took off and the deputy pursued him, eastbound on U.S. Highway 24. A short time later the pursuit ended near Paris. At about, 1:05 a.m., the Highway Patrol reports that a Monroe County Sheriff’s Department deputy observed Marshall walking southbound on Missouri Highway 15 in Paris.

The Highway Patrol said that Marshall was carrying a hatchet and flashlight, secured to a metal bat. He allegedly approached Monroe County Sheriff’s deputies in what was described a threatening manner, refused officers demands to halt and broke into Hickman’s IGA.

Monroe City Police Department canine unit was called to the scene and officers entered the IGA store. While inside the business Marshall, allegedly attacked officers during the scuffle. Officers fired their duty weapons, striking Marshall, according to the report.