As Beth Haven established its operation in the community, the local Mennonite church started to fade away. In the 1960s the board opened its membership to local community members.
This year marks 60 years since the first Beth Haven facility opened in Hannibal. Local Mennonite churches from communities such as Hannibal, Leonard, Cherry Box, Philadelphia, and Palmyra opened a 32-bed nursing home at 1500 Harrison Hill in Hannibal in 1957. Service to others was very much the mission of those local Mennonite groups. There was a voluntary service unit that had been working at Levering Hospital, and they saw the need in the community for quality care for the elderly. The local churches were involved with the operation of Beth Haven from the very beginning. They were always looking for ways to serve the community and asking what else they could do to serve their fellow man.
When Beth Haven was first established, a board made up of members from the local Mennonite churches oversaw the growth and progress, as well as its great potential.
As Beth Haven established its operation in the community, the local Mennonite church started to fade away. In the 1960s the board opened its membership to local community members. Today the board is comprised of nine dedicated community members from the Hannibal, Palmyra, and Philadelphia areas. The board members have been vital to the growth of the Beth Haven Retirement Community.
Board members now serve three-year terms, with a maximum of twelve years. In the past, terms for board members were much longer. Wendell Kreider is Beth Haven’s longest-serving board member, having served faithfully for 50 years.
As Beth Haven has changed and grown in the past 60 years, its faith foundation has not. It continues to be a faith based organization.
During its 60-year history, Beth Haven has made it a mission to help provide quality care and serve others. Part of that mission has included helping other local nursing homes in their times of need. Beth Haven helped manage Maple Lawn Nursing home in Palmyra from 1965 until 1968, and then again from 1982 to 1986. They helped manage Monroe City Manor from 1987 until 1990. And while Levering was being established as a nursing home, Beth Haven provided management from 1990 through 1991.
Much has changed since that first 32-bed home opened in 1957.
Today, Beth Haven Nursing Home has three additions in one building and is located on Pleasant Street. The first facility of the three units opened in 1972, with expansions in 1985 and the Alzheimer’s unit in 1998.
Beth Haven Terrace provides HUD assisted, Low Income elderly housing units with 32 apartments at 901 Central and 70 apartments at 3840 West Ely Road.
Pleasant View Assisted Living is located across the street from Beth Haven Nursing Home. It was established in 2007, and it opened with 35 ALF (Assisted Living) apartments and 10 Independent Living apartments. Beth Haven also operates five mental health group homes in different locations around the community.
In its 60 year history, Beth Haven has only had three Chief Executives.
The first was Peter Hartman, who served in that capacity from 1957 to 1975. Jacob Flischer was the second from 1975 to 1994. Currently, Paul Ewert is the CEO of Beth Haven Retirement Community, working for the organization since 1985 and Chief Executive since 1994.