Dr. Schuyler Metlis will host screenings at 6 locations from April 11 to June 7
Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer. Each year there are more new cases of skin cancer than all other cancers of the breast, prostate, lung, and colon combined, with one in five Americans developing skin cancer in the course of a lifetime.
Some risk factors for skin cancer include a lighter natural skin color, family history of skin cancer, history of indoor tanning, history of sunburns (especially early in life), and skin that burns, freckles, or reddens easily.
“If you have any of these risk factors, you should see a doctor for a skin cancer screening at least once a year,” says Dr. Schuyler Metlis with Hannibal Regional Medical Group. “Catching cancer early often allows for more treatment options, and if you have skin cancer, finding it early is the best way to make sure it can be treated with success.”
Beginning in April and going through June, Metlis will host free skin cancer screenings throughout the region. The screenings are free, but space is limited. Patients are encouraged to call ahead to schedule an appointment.
Screenings will take place at the following:
• Hannibal Regional Medical Group : April 11 from 9 to 11:30 a.m. (call 573-629-3500)
• Shelbina Family Practice: May 3 from 1:30–4:00 p.m. (call 573-588-4131)
• Monroe City Family Practice: May 3 from 9 to 11:30 a.m.(call 573-735-2506)
• Pike Medical Clinic in Bowling Green: May 17 from 9 to 11:30 a.m.(call 573-324-2241)
• Pike Medical Clinic in Louisiana: May 17 from 1:30 to 4 p.m. (call 573-754-5555)
• Canton/LaGrange Family Practice: June 7 from 1 to 3:30 p.m. (call 573-288-5360)