The Monroe City football was supposed to start its season in a brand new football stadium, but bad weather slowed the process and ther Panthers were forced to play in old Lankford Stadium one final time. If Friday’s night’s game against Clark County was the final game at the old field, the Panthers sent the field into retirement victorious as Monroe City beat the Indians 40-22.
Monroe City scored first when Logan Minter found the end zone on a two yard run with 6:53 left in the first quarter. Tarig Garner then converted the two-point play to give Monroe City an 8-0 lead.
After Clark County tied the game with 1:38 left in the first quarter, Monroe City needed just 14 seconds to retake the lead as Taylor Birth returned the kickoff 75 yards for a score.
Clark County got back within two points when the Indians stripped the ball from Jonathan Shuck and returned it 29 yards for a touchdown. However, Clark County failed to convert the two point play.
Garner gave Monroe City a 24-14 lead on a 48-yard touchdown run in the first half of the third quarter. Garner then scored again early in the fourth quarter, increasing the Panthers’ lead to 32-14.
Garner and Minter each finished the game with over 100 yards rushing for Monre City.
The Panthers took a 16-14 lead into halftime before pouring on the points in the second half. Monroe City’s final touchdown came on an eight yard run from Shuck with 3:49 left in the game, briefly giving the Panthers a 40-14 lead following Logan Minter’s succesfull two-point conversion.
Monroe City (1-0, 1-0 CCC) will be on the road for the next two weeks. The Panthers’ first stop will be in Macon (1-0, 1-0 CCC) on Friday, Aug. 29 for a 7 p.m. game.

Tigers fall to Westran

Even though the Mark Twain football team lost its season opener, there is reason for hope as the Tigers put up a fight before eventually falling to Westran 40-26.
Westran scored first, taking an 8-0 lead with 10:46 left in the first quarter, but the Tigers were able to answer right back, finding the end zone with 4:20 left in the opening quarter. However, Mark Twain was unable to convert the two-point play to tie the game.
Westran scored again, almost one minute later to take a 14-6 lead, but once again Mark Twain fought back. The Tigers were able to get into the end zone with 0:39 left in the first when Tyler Elledge scored a touchdown.
Mark Twain took its first lead when Terry Monroe scored on a 42-yard run. But, once again, the Tigers failed to convert the two-point play, leaving Mark Twain with an 18-14 lead.
That would be the only time Mark Twain led though as Westran would score three times, taking a 40-18 lead, before the first half came to a close.
With 1:17 left in the third quarter, Elledge once again found the end zone, this time on a 74 yard run, cutting the Tigers’ deficit to 40-26. But that would be all Mark Twain could muster.
Mark Twain (0-1) will hold its home opener on Friday, Aug. 29 when the Tigers host Paris (1-0) in a non-conference game. Paris beat Schuyler County 38-7 in its opener.