|
|
Hannibal Courier - Post - Hannibal, MO
  • Rural firefighters extinguish ceiling fire

  • No one was injured when a fire broke out in a residence in rural Hannibal early Sunday morning.
    • email print
  • No one was injured when a fire broke out in a residence in rural Hannibal early Sunday morning.
    According to Chief Mike Dobson, Hannibal Rural Fire Protection District (HRFPD) firefighters were called out at 1:15 a.m. to the home of Peter and Nerys Lightner, 62756 Brown Estates Drive, Hannibal, on the report of a structure fire.
    Peter Lightner reported he had awaked in the night and smelled smoke. He then went to the kitchen and discovered light smoke in the air. He investigated and found a fire in the ceiling in the basement. After calling 911, Lightner tried to control the fire with water he carried to the scene.
    When firefighters arrived they found the couple outside and the home filled with smoke. Upon entering the residence Dobson said fire was discovered running above a drop ceiling in the basement area close to the stairway. A dry chemical extinguisher was used to knock down the bulk of the fire, according to Dobson. Several additional ceiling panels were removed and a pressurized water extinguisher was used to cool hot areas.
    A thermal imaging camera was used to check for fire extension. A ventilation fan was used to assist in the removal of smoke from the residence.
    An investigation by the HRFPD determined that the fire originated as a result of an electrical short at a junction box in the basement ceiling.
    Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour and a half.

        calendar