|
|
Hannibal Courier - Post - Hannibal, MO
  • Apartment house fire leaves 3 families homeless

  • No one was injured, but four people were waiting for help from the American Red Cross at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 12, after a fire was extinguished in the two-story apartment house at 1120 Broadway, where they lived.
    • email print
  • No one was injured, but four people were waiting for help from the American Red Cross at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 12, after a fire was extinguished in the two-story apartment house at 1120 Broadway, where they lived.
    They reported they had occupied three apartments, and the property is owned by John Northcutt of Northcutt Properties.
    The Hannibal Fire Department reported three families were displaced, due to the fire.
    The HFD was called to the fire at 2:33 p.m., and 12 firefighters were involved before the fire was extinguished.
    The fire department reported when their first eight on-duty personnel arrived, the two-story wood frame building had flames coming from the front of the residence.
     
    All the residents were out at the time the fire department arrived.
    The fire department called for three additional firefighters and the fire chief. They were on the scene for about four hours extinguishing the fire.
    Agencies assisting were the Hannibal Police Department, Marion County Ambulance, Board of Public Works, American Red Cross and City of Hannibal Building Inspector’s Office.
    The state fire marshal was on the scene at 7:30 p.m.
    After the fire department had returned some of its trucks to the fire station, Assistant Fire Chief Ken Steffen remained on the scene with the fire marshal.
    Steffen explained the cause of the fire would be reported after the fire marshal completed his investigation.
    Later Saturday the HFD reported the fire was still under investigation by the Missouri State Fire Marshal’s Office.
    A Hannibal Fire Department spokesman said the department “would like to remind everyone to take the time to install and inspect your smoke detectors to make sure they are in proper working order.”
     
     
      • calendar