Dr. Jill Janes, outgoing superintendent of the Hannibal public schools, was honored as the 2014 Pacesetter by the Hannibal Area Chamber of Commerce.
The award was presented to Janes by the 2013 Pacesetter, Mayor Roy Hark, at the Chamber’s 105th annual meeting and banquet Saturday, Jan. 18, at the Quality Inn and Suites Conference Center.
Hark outlined Janes’ career with the Hannibal school system, emphasizing the new schools that have been constructed under her leadership. He said they helped Hannibal win several Community Betterment Awards.
Additional awards included:
• New Business of the year – Glik’s store
• Civic Contributor Award – Stevens Plowman, president of F&M Bank, for the bank’s role as trustee of the Riedel Foundation. Plowman said, “Mr. Riedel challenged us at the bank. I think he would be happy with what his funds have done.”
• Community Betterment Award – Bob Stevenson of the Hannibal Board of Public Works and Mayor Roy Hark of the City of Hannibal, for restoring power and all the assistance required after Hannibal’s May windstorm.
• Ambassador team of the year – Julie Leverenz’s team.
• Ambassador of the year - Corey Sanborn.
Retiring Chamber President Debbie Catlett announced she was presenting two new awards - President’s awards.
She honored Mary Gibbons as someone who “never says no” when asked for assistance by the Chamber.
She also honored Eddie Foxall of Townsquare Media for the publicity given the Chamber.
Tom and Becky, Nathan Lewton and Ashlyn Nichols, used a nursery rhyme format to share their experiences since beginning their duties on the Fourth of July, 2013.
Paul Ewert, the new Chamber president, explained his theme will be “Carrying Forward.”
Citing the growth of new businesses in Hannibal during the past year, Ewert said “we have just begun” and he is eager to “see where the Chamber is to be in the next five years.”
Ewert encouraged everyone to “shop local and carry forward our story – carry forward our legacy. We have a great history of community leaders.”
He quoted Harry Morgan (Sherman T. Potter of MASH fame) - who claimed to be a Hannibal native - as saying “You don’t have to be better than everybody else in the world. You just have to be better than yourself.”
Ewert concluded, “If we all continue to find ways to help, our community will be a better place.”
Janes named Chamber Pacesetter
Jan 21, 2014 at 4:55 PM