Editor’s note: Mary Nell Hall of Austin, Texas, was in charge of the estate of Mildred Haines Alford, who was born in 1907 and spent her earliest years in Hannibal. Mary Nell had possession of this childhood photo of Mildred Haines in Hannibal, and wanted to share it with Courier-Post readers. A little research produced family ties to Hannibal and the Northeast Missouri region.

Mildred Haines sits proudly in her Studebaker Junior goat wagon, an oversized bow adorning her hair, and her gingham dress starched and pressed as if ready to ride in a spring parade. The estimated year is 1909.
Born in Missouri in 1907, little Mildred lived in Hannibal until 1909, surrounded by members of two prominent Hannibal families of that era: the Haines family and the Munson family, both associated with the brickmason trade.
The stage for Mildred’s life began back in the 1870s, when William B. Haines and George W. Munson - who a quarter of a century later would welcome young Mildred into their extended family - conducted a business with George Bopp known as Haines, Bopp and Co., manufacturers, builders, contractors and builders of brickwork in Hannibal. The brick lot was located on Broadway extension.
In 1874, William B. Haines (1848-1901) married Annie E. Munson (1854-1925) of Hannibal, thus tying the two families together. That union produced a son, Edward Richard Haines.
In 1877, George W. Munson of Hannibal (brother of Annie E. Munson Haines), married Miss Jennie B. Fentriss of Shelbyville, and her family’s connections led to further business opportunities.
The Hannibal Clipper, dated July 26, 1877, reprinted a business announcement from the Shelbyville Herald. “Messrs. (W.B.) Haines, (G.W.) Munson, and (Geo.) Bopp, of Hannibal, and Mr. King of Shelbina, commenced laying brick for the Marmaduke and Collier buildings, last Monday.” The History of Shelby County reports that the M.H. Marmaduke corner front, two-story brick building was on the north side of the southwest corner of the square, adjoining the Collier block. The buildings were bricked the same year Shelbyville was established as a “city of the fourth class.”
Prior to his marriage to Mildred’s mother, in 1901, Edward R. Haines was a brickmason living with his parents at 507 N. Seventh in Hannibal. William B. Haines died in 1901, and in 1905, Annie E. Haines was living with her son Edward and his wife, Irene, at 333 Paris Ave., in Hannibal. Annie died in 1925 in Texas.
Edward R. Haines moved his family to Dallas, Texas, before 1910, where young Mildred grew to adulthood. In the 1940 census, Mildred Haines is listed as an elementary school teacher, living with her parents in Dallas. She married George LaFayette Alford. She died April 2, 1997, in Dallas.