|
|
Hannibal Courier - Post - Hannibal, MO
  • Engulfed by flames

  • A simple summer day turned into an evening of disbelief for the Brown family.
    John Brown had just returned home from a friend's house, walked into the living room and came face to face with flames and smoke.
    • email print
      Comment
  • A simple summer day turned into an evening of disbelief for the Brown family.
    John Brown had just returned home from a friend's house, walked into the living room and came face to face with flames and smoke.
    "I walked in the front room and the back part of the house was on fire," he said. "My kids, they ended up being gone. While everybody was gone, this is what happened."
    A total of seven people called 1106 Fulton Ave., home at the Brown's residence on Hannibal's South Side, but within the hour and a half it took the Hannibal firemen to fight the blaze, 1106 Fulton Ave., was a loss.
    Brown did what he could to save the family pets — three dogs and a cat — from the heavy, billowing smoke that clouded the neighborhood in the thick, humid air; but there was nothing he could do.
    "I was hollering for them, I tried to get them out and everything," he said. "That's why I'm burned up as bad as I am."
    As the fire spread, flames shot out attic vents and windows.
    Nearby homes, that had no residents, began getting kissed by the orange flames and embraced by the intense heat. The vacant home at 1108 Fulton Ave., had only burn marks on its wood siding, however, 1104 Fulton Ave., caught fire and began to burn in bedrooms and the attic.
    "We had some minor damage in the house to the north and the other just had some flame impingement on the outside. Just scorched it a little," Mike Benjamin of the Hannibal Fire Department said. The core blaze was at the Brown home which sat in between the two vacant homes. "It was all in the attic of that house. We had to fight the fire from the outside to get the fire knocked down. Cut some vent holes and we were able to get inside."
    The home at 1104 Fulton Ave. is owned by Sherry Hughett and her brother. She just happened to be in town from Tulsa, Okla., visiting her parents.
    "It was my grandparents' house. The side closest to the (fire), it's pretty bad. This side of the house doesn't look that bad at all. With the fire in the attic, it could've burnt the joists," Hughett said. "We had already cleaned it out and we were going to try and sell it. We had it for sale by owner and were going to list it with a realtor, but guess we're not going to be doing that any time soon."
    There was no official cause of the fire. According to Benjamin, the blaze would be investigated, but a timetable was not set.

        calendar