The recent heroic actions by Hannibal resident Jordan Gross were recognized during Tuesday’s meeting of the City Council.
The recent heroic actions by Hannibal resident Jordan Gross were recognized during Tuesday’s meeting of the City Council. But after the meeting, Gross readily acknowledged he was not the only person stepping forward last month to help rescue three small children and their baby sitter from a burning house on Church Street.
Gross and another man caught the first child that was dropped from a second floor window. Gross would catch two other youngsters that he estimated were 3 years of age or younger.
“I turned around and got the kids away from the house because I saw other people coming to help,” said Gross, adding that three individuals helped break the fall of the baby sitter.
Gross was out running an errand on June 16 when he saw smoke coming from a residence.
“Instantly I just stopped my car and dialed 911. I ran up to the house and started screaming, ‘Hey, is anybody in there?’” he said.
Gross located the baby sitter and children at a second floor window.
“They were screaming and coughing,” he said.
Gross, joined by another man, ran around to the front of the house and kicked in the door. He immediately encountered a wall of flames.
Gross raced back to the window, where the process of catching the children began.
“The smoke was so thick, the two kids screaming at the window you couldn’t see any more. It was that thick coming out,” he said.
During Tuesday’s Council meeting, Fire Chief Bill Madore read a letter of commendation.
“I wasn’t looking for anything. I was glad those kids are OK,” said Gross. “I saw a lot of (the children’s) family members down there when it was happening. I don’t know them; they don’t know me. They came over and thanked me, and that was enough. I didn’t need anything to make me feel good about what I did. I was in the right place at the right time. I’m just glad I could spring into action instead of fumbling around, not knowing what to do.”