|
|
Hannibal Courier - Post - Hannibal, MO
  • House will have to come down after fire

  • Jordan Gross just happened to be driving by the intersection of Church and Grand when he noticed smoke coming out of the first floor of the home at 1243 Church St.
    • email print
  • Jordan Gross just happened to be driving by the intersection of Church and Grand when he noticed smoke coming out of the first floor of the home at 1243 Church St.
    He immediately pulled over.
    Screaming and waving his arms he got the attention of the folks on the second floor.
    It was a teenage girl with three children she was babysitting.
    "Is there a fire downstairs," she shouted at Gross.
    At that same moment, black smoke came billowing through the window she was leaning out of.
    "Smoke just barrel rolled out of the house," Gross said.
    He told the babysitter to throw the kids down and he'd catch them. There was the baby under a year, the little boy about 2, and the toddler girl about 3. He caught all three safely. The babysitter jumped out, and had her fall broken by additional men who arrived on the scene.
    Firefighters were on the scene for three hours and determined the cause of the fire was an accident. According to owner Margaret Click, the fire started in the kitchen.
    All that's left are charred remains, melted siding and damaged belongings.
    "It's going to have to come down. It's completely gone," Click said. "There's clothes and stuff, but you'd never get that smell out of there. There's no salvaging anything. There's TVs where there wasn't even fire, it was so hot in there it just melted the backs of them."
    Click said she's not certain what the future of the lot will be. It may be open, it maybe rebuilt. That's a decision that has yet to be made.
      • calendar