Hannibal Rural Fire Protection District firefighters were called at 12:12 p.m. Saturday, May 25, to 4516 West Ely Road, where smoke was reported in the home.
The home is owned by Brandon Hayes and Kim Santos. Firefighters found smoke coming from an area around a dryer vent. The siding was removed from the outside of the home to access the smoldering fire in the insulation in the wall.
The fire department checked the home for fire extension with a thermal imaging camera and ventilated to remove the smoke. Fire damage was limited to a small section of wall at the dryer vent.
Fire Chief Mike Dobson said “we are fortunate that the couple and their children were at home during the storm, as it appears that the fire was started from a lightning strike. The fire department was on the scene for about an hour.” No injuries were reported.