Work on Hannibal’s downtown sidewalk project could resume as early as next week after the city learned the project’s revisions have received approval from the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO).
“We had been waiting on SHPO,” said City Engineer Mark Rees, who estimated the plans have been in SHPO’s hands for approximately a month. “This is not the only thing that SHPO has to review. Through this process I’ve learned to have patience.”
The revised plans also needed the OK of the Missouri Department of Transportation because state dollars are helping fund the project. Rees told the Courier-Post earlier this month that MoDOT was waiting to give its blessing until the City Council had approved a $196,654 change order to implement the new plans and SHPO had signed off on the project. The Council approved the change order at its April 1 meeting.
Rees said that work on North Main’s sidewalks could “hopefully” resume as early as next week.
The first bit of work could involve city personnel, who will likely be used to remove some of the new concrete that was installed in the 300 block of North Main before work was halted last year.
In early July the work will be suspended during National Tom Sawyer Days.