Authorities suspect smoking in bed caused a Lincoln County mobile home fire that killed a 71-year-old man.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Robert H. Voorheis Sr. died early Friday in the fire near Foley. Fire officials say Voorheis’ son lives next door and called his dad Friday morning. After failing to reach his father, the son found his father on the floor near a bed that had been consumed by fire.
Firefighters arrived about 9 a.m., but the fire had gone out several hours before they were called.
Lincoln County Fire Protection District spokesman Barry Nuss says smoking materials were found near where the fire started. Family members said that Voorheis had smoked in bed.
No working smoke alarms were in the home. It sustained smoke damage throughout.