|
|
Hannibal Courier - Post - Hannibal, MO
  • Shredded documents catch fire at hospital

  • No one was injured and only minimal damage resulted when documents being shredded inside a truck began smoldering Tuesday morning at Hannibal Regional Hospital.
    • email print
  • No one was injured and only minimal damage resulted when documents being shredded inside a truck began smoldering Tuesday morning at Hannibal Regional Hospital.
    “We contract the service to have them shred documents for us and they were shredding documents. The shredder had a little problem and we had a little, smoldering fire,” said Keith Mosley, plant operations director.
    Initially the Cintas truck was parked at a dock behind the hospital. It was driven to a nearby access road on the hospital campus.
    “They assessed the hazard and figured out that they could go ahead and move the vehicle without any further risk and that’s what they did,” said Fire Chief Bill Madore.
    Preliminary reports were that the truck was parked near a liquid oxygen storage tank. According to Mosley, the tank was from 150 to 200 feet away.
    “There was no imminent danger at all. Even if it had been actually blazing it was far enough away,” he said.
    When firefighters arrived there were flames or no smoke visible.
    “When we looked at the auger and the compactor mechanism in the vehicle we did see some smoke and some combustible smoldering in there,” said Madore.
    Firefighters had to work their way to the source of the heat.
    “We had quite a bit of paperwork in there. The back of the box was about half full,” said Madore. “A lot of it was compacted around the drain chute where it comes out. We had to make sure we were able to assess it from both sides and we did so finally with the help of some heavy equipment.”
    As for the cause of the fire, Madore said it was likely a combination of “combustible material being compacted in there with hot machinery which caused some of these papers to smolder and ignite.”
      • calendar