Hannibal Courier - Post - Hannibal, MO
  • Fire damages kitchen of Lyon Street home

  • Afternoon fire damages Lyon Street home in Hannibal.
    • email print
  • It might be a while before April Dewitt has a taste for onion rings again. That is what she was preparing Thursday afternoon when the kitchen in her 700 Lyon St. residence caught fire.
    “I turned around and it just went ka-boom,” she said. “It’s pretty scarey. Pretty scarey.”
    None of the three people reportedly in the structure at the time of the fire were injured.
    “Thanks to God nobody was in there. We got everybody out,” said Dewitt. “My aunt called 911 for me. I was pretty scared. I’m still scared until I walk back in there.”
    According to Fire Chief Bill Madore, the blaze was reported at 3:54 p.m.
    “First arriving crews found heavy black smoke coming from the rear of the residence. We had the fire under control in approximately five to 10 minutes,” he said, noting a dozen firefighters at one point were at the scene.
    Madore said a department investigator was en route to the scene. The Board of Public Works and gas company were reportedly going to disconnect utilities from the residence.
    “They say I can go back in after a while and start cleaning it up. It mainly just got the kitchen,” said Dewitt, who did not anticipate a lot of fire damage.
    Dewitt, who has lived in the residence since this summer, hopes to get back into her home as quickly as possible.
    “We’re going to stay next door and then I’ll come over and clean on it. I don’t want to leave my home,” she said.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar