With much reluctance the GFWC of Oakwood - in Hannibal, voted to dissolve.
On March 9, 1953, Mrs. D.B. Landau and Mrs. A.M. Howard met at the Mark Twain Hotel to organize a new GFWC Club in Hannibal - The Woman’s Club of Oakwood.
This club was admitted to MFWC on April 15, 1953, and to GFWC on April 15, 1953.
It was an active club and known as the “Hard Working Club” from the beginning.
Every year of its 59 years, it contributed to Missouri Girls Town, which was also organized in 1953.
Over the years it sponsored 11 LPN Scholarships, one RN Scholarship, and one Dr. Intern Scholarship. It contributed to Avenues and Douglass Community Services.
With other Hannibal Clubs - it always took its turn at sponsoring and chaperoning a student to “Sophomore Pilgrimage” in Jefferson City.
For many years it furnished a highway sign that read “The Churches of Oakwood Welcome You.” They got permission from the Highway Department to post it. A member’s husband always volunteered for the job of erecting it.
They presented a podium to the Oakwood School. Provided landscaping projects at Oakwood School. Provided a kindergarten class held in the Oakwood Christian Church.
They had many fund raisers including rummage sales, baked food sales, a style show, silent auctions, regular auction, and they prepared and served meals to church banquets and to the BLP Club.
For 46 years - every December they sent Christmas presents to the Marion County residents of Marshall State Facility.
Four of the present members also served a turn as 3rd District President of GFWC of Missouri.
In April 2013, they would have celebrated their 60th anniversary.
Final members are: Frances Gilmore, since 1957; Eva Boggs since 2004; Janet Brown since 2008; Zona Burkhead since 2009; Bette Griggs since 1997; Margery Gundling since 2001; Norma Haines since 2005; Wilma Hightower since 1976; Shirley Jackson since 1989; Betty Scott since 1984; LaVerne See since 1992; and Marie Allen since 1966.